Sunday, October 5, 2014

Go Wide or Go Home

I recently had the pleasure of teaching a street photography workshop.
The two session event was hosted by Jack's Camera Shop in Muncie, Indiana.

The first session was held in the classroom.
During the second session we headed out into the streets to practice what we had learned.

I find that the main reason that photographers take the workshop is to learn how (or gain the confidence) to approach strangers on the street.

I talked about using prime lenses.
I shared my views regarding shooting wide angle primes (35 and 28mm) and the importance of getting close and connecting with people.

I decided that I should practice what I preach.
I attached my Voigtlander 28mm Ultron to my Leica.
The only extra things I carried were business cards.
I left my camera bag behind.

As I walked away from the car I mumbled the same words that I always say when I leave the house with a 28mm lens.

"Go wide.....  or go home....."

Getting close is exciting.....











There was a great group of photographers that attended.
I'm fortunate to have spent time with all of them.
I'm looking forward to staying in touch with everyone.


Tommi (a.k.a. Fearless) in action.

J.C interacts after taking photos.

Shaun in action.

Darrin in action.

JC in action (on the light pole above the crowd).

Great discussion was had afterwards at the Fickle Peach (one of my favorite bars).




Photo by Shaun Frederickson 


Photo by Shaun Frederickson 


No comments:

Post a Comment